Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Facebook Findings


It's been two weeks since I deactivated my Facebook account. Here are some things that I've learned:

1. Facebook can be a downer - so many people post complaints about this or that as their status. It's hot, I'm tired, We're bored, I'm hungry blah, blah, blah. I read that and I think, "Yeah, it IS hot" or "Eek, I'm tired too." Then I dwell on it.
Also, it gets me down as I compare myself to others. I read: "It's amazing, my six month old is potty trained!" and I think, "Gee, my two and half year old is not even showing signs of readiness." Then I spiral into feelings of guilt or inadequacies. (obviously an exaggeration on both accounts)

2. Facebook hinders my productivity - every time I felt the need to check my facebook, I decided to do something more productive. It was great. My sink is always clean, my laundry promptly folded and put away. Well, almost always.

3. Facebook hinders my relationships with friends. If I think about someone, I could just read about their lives without ever even speaking to them. Now, I actually connect with friends instead of checking their facebook to see what they are up to. Feeling connected and being connected are two VERY different things.

4. Facebook wasn't allowing me to "live in the moment". Every time my kids do something cute or funny, I'd think, "I have to post that, everyone will think it's SO funny." Now, I can just enjoy my kids b/c I think they are funny. Getting a laugh from my "friends" isn't as important as cherishing these moments in my heart. I can enjoy things for what they are, not what facebook friends will think of them.

That's just four things that I gleaned over these last two weeks. Life without Facebook has been good for me. I've enjoyed it and I think it will be a permanent change for me. I challenge you to think of something you can do to simplify and better your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment